Maine Township High School District 207 is proud to announce that it will award the Illinois Seal of Biliteracy to students who have attained a high level of proficiency in one or more languages in addition to English. This Seal of Biliteracy also carries national recognition.
Where will this recognition be placed?
Students meeting the requirements for the Seal of Biliteracy will receive this recognition on their transcripts as well as receive an official seal that can be placed on their diplomas.
What qualifies to receive the Seal of Biliteracy?
In order to obtain the Seal of Biliteracy, a student must show proficiency in both English and a second language. The Seal of Biliteracy is awarded to those who demonstrate proficiency in English and whose second language proficiency level is equivalent to Intermediate High, as determined by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL).
What are the specific requirements that must be met to demonstrate proficiency in English?
- Earn a minimum composite score of 21 on the ACT test, or meets standards (480 minimum) on the ELA portion of the SAT, OR
- Earn a 4.8 composite on the ACCESS exam. The ACCESS test is specifically for students in the ELL (English Language Learning) program.
What are the specific requirements that must be met to show second language proficiency?
- Earn a 4 or 5 on the Advanced Placement Language and Culture exam (The Advanced Placement exam is the only qualifier for the following languages: Italian, Spanish, Chinese, French, and German), or
- Earn a minimum score of I5 on the AAPPL exam (Assessment of Performance toward Proficiency in Languages). The languages that can be assessed with the AAPPL exam are Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish. The AAPPL exam will be offered at Maine Township High School District 207. (Testing Information: Anticipated testing dates: Spring 2017 -Cost: approximately $20.00 – Registration/testing information will be released in January 2017.)
Who can I contact for more information about the Seal of Biliteracy?
- Maine East: Shari Baima at 847-692-8429 or [email protected]
- Maine West: Al Matan at 847-803-5951 or [email protected]
- Maine South: Tona Costello at 847-692-8134 or [email protected]