CLASS OF 2021 – GRADUATION INFORMATION
To the Students and Parents of the Class of 2021:
It’s hard to believe that the end of the school year is here and that graduation is just a few short weeks away! Certainly, this has been an unprecedented year – and not what any of us would have wished for, but I am pleased that we will be able to celebrate graduation in person here on the campus of Maine East. Between now and then, I encourage all of our senior students to maintain your grades and stay engaged in your classes; additionally, you will also need to pay any obligations owed to the school between May 10 and May 18 – a separate mailing has been sent with detailed information.
Please read through this letter carefully and mark your calendars. If you have any questions, please contact your counselor or your Assistant Principal for Student Supports.
If you have indicated that you WILL NOT be participating in-person in the graduation ceremony, you may still make arrangements to pick up your cap and gown and will need to pay any obligations. Please note that the live ceremony will be livestreamed and that a recorded version will be made available a few days after the live event; additionally, the recorded version will include a slide show of ALL graduates (including those who did not participate in person). Note: only the names of students participating in person will be announced at the live graduation ceremony.
GRADUATION: Practice, Clothing and Commencement
Mandatory Marching Practice – Wednesday, May 19, 2021
Attendance is required if you plan to march in graduation.
- On May 19, students MUST report to the auditorium according to the following schedule according to their counselor. Students will need to arrive on time, enter through Door #3-the Bus Shelter, and have their self-certification completed.
- Amy Allen and Keleyssa Block – 8:30-10:00
- Suzanne Caliendo and Angie Edsey – 10:15-11:45
- Alen Ibrahimovic and Nicole Rinaldi – 12:30-2:00
- Mieka Yochim – 2:15-3:30
- During the practice, instructions regarding the commencement program will be provided. This activity prepares the graduates for actual marching and gives students a chance to be sure that their name is pronounced correctly. Students are to dress in regular school attire.
- Students who are taking an AP exam during graduation practice will coordinate with the Assistant Principal’s office to understand their responsibilities for graduation, and to pick up their cap/gown after testing is complete.
- Immediately following the marching practice, instructions will be provided as to where to pick up your cap and gown and guest tickets. To receive your cap and gown, all obligations must be cleared. This includes, but is not limited to, items such as library fines, Assistant Principal’s obligations, athletic equipment, and any financial obligations that may be pending. Cash or credit cards (Visa or Mastercard) will be the only forms of payment accepted for senior obligations.
Commencement Day – Saturday, May 22, 2021 (Rain Date – Sunday, May 23 if necessary)
Maine East Memorial Stadium – 1:00 p.m.
- Graduates should plan to arrive at the varsity tennis courts next to the stadium between 12:00 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. Bring or wear your cap and gown to the set-up area. There will be no area to leave valuables (purses, etc.). Please leave all valuables with your caregivers. Leave cameras and mobile computing devices with your caregivers and do not bring these to the staging area.
- The ceremony is a dignified way to celebrate your accomplishments; anyone interrupting the ceremony, even in the interest of humor, may be asked to leave.
- All graduates are asked to wear appropriate clothing with their cap and gown. Dress code requirements are as follows: Tops- Blouse or Dress Collared Shirt with a Tie (mandatory). Bottoms-Skirt or Dress Slacks. Footwear-Dress Shoes or Flats. Avoid wearing high heels that may sink into the ground and impede your ability to climb stairs. The following are not allowed: Flip-flops, jeans, cargo pants, shorts, polos and T-shirts.
- Failure to meet attire guidelines may result in being excluded from participating in the ceremony.
PARENT/CAREGIVER INFORMATION ABOUT GRADUATION
- In order to maintain appropriate social distancing in the stadium, each student will be issued three tickets and limited to three (3**) guests at the graduation ceremony.
- Guests will be required to wear a mask at all times while in the stadium.
- The ceremony will be livestreamed and a recorded version with a slide show of ALL graduates will be available a few days after the ceremony.
- No food or drinks will be permitted.
- Students and their guests may park in the East lot by the tennis courts, or in the South lots. Parking will be slightly limited due to construction so we encourage students and their families to drive together if possible. Please do not park in the main driveway.
- Students are to be dressed appropriately (See above) and in the staging area no later than 12:30 p.m. The ceremony will begin promptly at 1:00 p.m.
- Guests in the audience are to remain seated during the ceremony. A professional photographer will be taking pictures of the graduates as they receive their diplomas on stage. You will receive proofs and have an opportunity to purchase photographs but are not obligated to do so. If you do not want to have your graduate’s picture taken, please notify Mrs. Sophie O’Malley [email protected] 847-692-8508 in the principal’s office by Friday, May 7. 2021.
- Graduates will formally recess out of (leave) the stadium. Parents and guests are asked to remain in their seats until all graduates have passed. This will allow graduates to go directly to the designated area to receive their printed diplomas. After they have received their diplomas, guests will be able to join graduates outside the stadium or back at their vehicles.
OTHER SPECIAL EVENTS
Senior Honors – Wednesday, May 19, 2021 – Maine East Auditorium 7:30 p.m.
- The Senior Honors Program will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Auditorium on Wednesday, May 19, 2021. Recognition of outstanding seniors will include Departmental Awards, Goodwill Awards, Merit Awards, and awards and scholarships from internal and outside organizations. In order to hold this event safely, we will be limiting attendance to those students who are receiving school awards and scholarships. Students who wish to be recognized for their university scholarships will have the opportunity to appear in a slide presentation at the end of the ceremony. Students who are being honored will receive an invitation and may receive tickets for 2 (two) guests at the ceremony due to social distancing guidelines.
- These activities are to celebrate the culmination of your high school experience; accordingly, we hope that everyone in attendance will conduct themselves with a sense of respect – for themselves and for others. In order to ensure the safety of all students, all school rules will apply. Pranks and other activities, whether meant to be harmless or not, may result in consequences. Any student arriving at any of the activities under the influence of, emitting the odor of, or in possession of alcohol or illegal substances will automatically result in suspension from school and exclusion from participating in the Commencement Program.
We are looking forward to celebrating graduation with our students and their caregivers.
ORDER YOU CAP AND GOWN!
Hello Maine East Class of 2021,
Please complete this Graduate Cap and Gown -2021 Google Order Form to order your cap and gown. More information regarding graduation will be shared as it becomes available. This form is due by noon on January 27, 2021.
2020-2021 Opening Days Schedule for Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
Please open the following link for detailed information and schedule for upperclassmen. Opening Days Schedule 2020-2021
Please note the following important dates:
- Optional in-person orientation for Juniors is Tuesday 8/25 (A group), and Wednesday 8/26 (B group)
- Optional in-person orientation for Sophmores is Thursday 8/27 (A group), and Friday 8/28 (B group)
- Optional in-person orientation and group meetings for Seniors – Monday 8/24 – AM (A group), PM (B group)
- Classes begin for ALL students on Tuesday, 8/25
Greetings Maine East Senior Students & Parents!
The staff at Maine East have been working hard to prepare to welcome you back next week to set a tone for the best possible culmination of your high school. Regardless of whether you are going to come to the building for some In-Person learning or start fully virtual from home, we look forward to seeing you next week!
View this link for detailed information about next week’s schedule: https://docs.google.
You can also view this information on the Maine East Website: https://east.