WHAT IS IT: "Full contact social studies" teams from different schools debate for or against a national resolution.
SOME MAINE EAST DEBATE ACHIEVEMENTS
- Maine East debaters attended 19 tournaments in six different states, winning over 15 team awards and 18 individual awards in the 2008-2009 season.
- Maine East debaters were quarter-finalists in the 2008 IHSA State Tournament
- Maine East debaters have won the Novice (First year) State Tournament in 1997, 2000 and 2001. We had two semifinalist teams in 2004 and were semifinalists in 2006. We had the 8th speaker in the state for Novice last year.
- Every Maine East debater qualified and competed in the State tournament in the 2008-2009 season
- Teaches public speaking skills (obviously) and allows a waiver for the oral communications requirement at Maine East
- Teaches critical analysis, reasoning and research skills
- Helps academic achievement (see Christian Sci. Monitor article) and employability (see Reuters article)
- Learning about different relevant topics
- Meeting interesting and bright students from schools both inside and outside of Illinois
- Helps in college admissions (Its a desired activity on many applications, some colleges also offer scholarships for debate, Maine East debaters have received or been offered scholarships from Emory, Dartmouth, DePaul, Iowa, Illinois State University, Augustana College, West Georgia, University of Texas and Northwestern)
See this excellent article for further reading about the benefits of Debate.
Head Coach - Wayne Tang, 773-871-5349 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org